London – 5 March 2021: To celebrate International Women’s Day and the contribution of women to the mining industry, Women in Mining UK (“WIM UK”) is delighted to launch the #WIMinspire video series.
This video series explores the stories of women who have achieved success across a range of different roles and seniority in the mining industry. Each woman takes us through her story giving viewers an insider’s look into how she came to join the mining industry and what has made her experience so special and rewarding. The interviewees also share advice for women considering a career, or looking to progress, in the mining industry.
The first nine women featured in the #WIMinspire series are:
- Jo Birch – Senior Hydrogeologist & Project Manager at Golder
- Rebecca Campbell – Partner, Global Head of Mining & Metals at White & Case
- Tanya Chikanza – Chief Financial Officer at Bushveld Minerals
- Marna Cloete – President & Chief Financial Officer at Ivanhoe Mines
- Stacy Hope – Director at Africa Matters and Head of Global Outreach at WIM UK
- Carly Leonida – Geologist and Owner of The Intelligent Miner
- Sanam Nourbakhsh – Metals & Mining – Equity Sales at Berenberg
- Esther Oberbeck – Head of Strategy Development at De Beers
- Salima Shariff – Head of Talent Acquisition (Global) at Anglo American
Alex Buck, WIM UK’s Managing Director, comments, “We’ve launched this video series to showcase the wide range of roles available and how rewarding a career in mining can be to help attract more women to the industry. These nine successful women share their individual stories, offering insights and ‘words of wisdom’, which we hope will assure new joiners there is a plethora of women ready to support and mentor them so that they too can be successful.
We look forward to featuring many more talented women. Thank you to Nevena Bogdanovic, who herself is a young woman in mining, for the suggestion.”
You can view the videos on our YouTube channel.
Notes to Editors
About Women in Mining UK
WIM UK is a volunteer-run, non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting the employment, retention and advancement of women in the mining sector. We offer a suite of programmes and initiatives to progress women’s professional goals and career aspirations, from university all the way to Board level. These includes a scholarship programme with the Camborne School of Mines and Imperial College London, an internship programme, a partnership with Women on Boards, and numerous networking, educational and mentoring events. WIM UK publishes thought leadership articles and research as well as the biennial “100 Global Inspirational Women in Mining” (WIM100), which celebrates women’s contribution to the mining industry and identify inspirational role models to encourage future generations of women to consider mining as a career choice.
For more information about joining WIM UK, please visit our website: www.womeninmining.org.uk.
Women in Mining UK Contact
Ariadna D. Peretz
Head of Communications
T: +44 (0) 7488 495 969